There are many things that can be done on any Ugandan road trip since Uganda is blessed with lots of attractions to enjoy while on a road trip. The things to do in Uganda are some of the most unique and famous to do in world.
You can enjoy a lot in the country including the snow-capped mountains of the moon, boat cruises, Lake Bunyonyi and its views, mountain gorillas and many more.
Even though Uganda is mostly known for mountain gorilla trekking, it’s a very unique safari destination with small bit of everything to offer. This is the main reason why many people prove that Uganda is the pearl of Africa.
- Mountain gorilla tracking in Bwindi impenetrable national park in Uganda; Half of the population of gorillas resides in Uganda, this is something not to be missed.Over 400 gorillas, 11 habituated gorilla families in Bwindi and 1 group in Mgahinga Gorilla national park. The mountain gorillas are on the must do and see list of most tourists to Uganda. Alongside gorilla trekking, you can enjoy hiking, mountain biking, interactive cultural walks with the Batwa people as well as birding.
- Chimpanzee trekking in Uganda; You can enjoy a one day Ngamba safari, 2 days chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest. The trekking is also done in Murchison falls and also in Kyambura Gorge in Queen Elizabeth national park as well as Kibale national park.Kibale Forest is believed to have the highest number of the primates in Africa. The park has got 13 primate species, including the rare red colombus, L’Hoest’s monkeys.
You can spend an hour observing man’s closest relatives. You might consider spending more time with the chimps with the habituation experience. This is a whole day habituation experience and can be done in Kibale National Park.
- Murchison falls national park boat cruises and the game drives, visit top of the waterfalls, Zziwa Rhino sanctuary and Budongo Forest walk; the park is in north of Uganda is so amazing.This national offers one of the best all round safari experiences in Uganda. You get to hike down the cliffs of the Murchison falls for the incredible views of the Nile as it explodes through a narrow rocky gap in the gorge, to extend on wards on its long journey to the Mediterranean.
There is also the Nile cruise to the falls with wildlife in abundance on the shores is so remarkable. Get to visit Ziwa Rhino reserve and also do chimpanzee tracking in Budongo forest.
- The tree climbing lions of Ishasha plains and a game drive; there are only two places in the whole world to find the tree climbing lions, these Ishasha plains is one of them and other tree climbing lions found in Tanzania. You can track them on a stand-alone safari or a mixed safari with other places of interest.
- Get to visit Kidepo valley National park for game safaris, scenic viewing, Karamajong pastoral communities as well as culture. This lost valley in the north east, along the Sudanese border, has the most wonderful scenery of any protected area in Uganda.There is the rolling, short grass savanna of the 1442 sq km Kidepo valley national park was named by CNN as one of the best national parks in Uganda.
- Queen Elizabeth national park and Kazinga channel launch cruise; this is one of the most popular parks in Uganda filled with wildlife and birds. There also activities like chimpanzee tracking, the tree climbing lions, Kazinga channel where you can see the hippos and crocodiles as you cruise along the shores seeing viewing many birds and lots of wildlife.The volcanic craters offer a magical sight as well as the Rwenzori mountains. This is a perfect park where 5 or 6 days, you can pay a visit to the mountain gorillas.
- Lake Mburo National Park is another attraction that can’t be missed on any self-drive safari in Uganda. Get chance to see the big cape buffaloes, zebras, antelopes, impalas, elands, Topis, warthogs, on any game drive in the park.The many highlight of the park is the boat safari on the Lake with the Uganda Wildlife Authority ranger, where you will see many hippos, crocodiles, see the eagles and many other animals. The park can easily be visited when you are coming from Kampala and you make a stopover to see a lots of wildlife.
The above six attractions can be enjoyed on any road trip in Uganda, however Uganda ; the pearl of Africa has got a lot to offer to those that visit it.